Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 5 :: The Bakken Museum


Kid Friendly: yes
Pet Friendly: no

Cost: $5
Total Budget: $8/$50 ($5 today, $3 yesterday on a hot chocolate for Addie at the library's coffee shop)










I'm discovering something significant about this 30-day adventure: the activities are really divided into two subsets. The first being participant driven, the second being student driven. Participant activities include the oil painting, the igloo building and various other upcoming activities where I'm an 'active participant.' The student activities would be the snow sculpture competition I visited, the library, and tonight's activity of visiting the Bakken museum. I think it's safe to say,... I'm a much better participant than I am a student.

With that said, as far as the student activities go, the Bakken Museum actually did a great job holding my interest. They did so by creating a great environment of participation. The majority of the displays required hands-on involvement. 

I should start from the beginning. Thanks to the library last night, the tickets for Addie and myself were free. The only real cost was an additional ticket for Addie's friend, Ben. However, the additional cost was well worth it, because those two fed off of each other in this environment. Each display beckoned a contest between the two of them... Who is braver by increasing the voltage pulsating through their bodies? Who has more brain activity by being able to 'think' a ball toward their opponent? Who is more coordinated by being able to move metal objects from point A to point B using a magnet crane system? And the challenges continued. It's safe to say that they both displayed substantial brain activity. Thanks Bakken.

The 'Shock' Machine



The Static Electricity Machine



Addie exploring the men's bathroom (we were the only visitors at the museum)



Frankenstein's body lies beneath!!



On an interesting side note, I was surprised by how interested they were in the building itself. I'm not sure if they were so drawn to the history of it, but rather by it's aesthetic detail, and it's monumental size. I believe it's a Victorian Mansion from a foregone era... but they just thought it was 'like a castle,' and that is just 'too cool.'

One other thing they were drawn to were the robots created by other kids. The Bakken offers seminars and classes to assist kids in exploring their scientific, engineering, and creative sides. They had on display several products from such classes. Both Addie and Ben thoroughly enjoyed these inventions.

And on a final note, we had to check out the Frankenstein room before we left. The Frankenstein room is a small room set up with a display area and then a seating area to watch the presentation. The presentation lasts for about 12 minutes and uses creative lighting and audio to tell the story of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Addie made it as far as the entrance to the room before she flung around and headed the other direction. Ben tentatively sat next to me for a whole 3 minutes before he fled in utter terror to join Addie (I provide a service to my friends of terrorizing their children before bedtime), whereas I made it a whole 10 minutes before my heart skipped it's first beat. I have to say though, it was the highlight of my evening, and I am now further educated on both the story and the author. To put it briefly, it was "too cool!"

I'll definitely by revisiting the Bakken Museum.


Some Videos:


Brain Ball :: "and the winner, with the lowest brain activity, is..."






Musical Mistake :: When attempting to invent a new type of radio, the inventor of this machine 'accidentally' created a hand's off musical instrument.





1 comment:

David Turner said...

Enjoying all your posts. Keep it up!