Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 17 :: Speed Skating

Kid Friendly: moderately
Pet Friendly:no

Cost: $0
Total Budget: $33/$5

Sadly, I didn't allow myself time last night or this morning to write the post, so it will have to be brief. The night was divided into two events:

1. Polar Bear Winter Plunge 'Rally'
2. Speed Skating

Polar Bear Winter Plunge Rally
The rally was brief, and experienced a minimal turnout. However, we got up close and personal with the two polar bears at Como zoo, and that was wonderful. We also learned that it's best to wear a crazy costume on the day of the plunge. We'll see.



Speed Skating
I should say that I started the day off with a bad cold. I was drugged up on Nyquil and when I got home, I crashed for about two hours. However, somehow, my body regained enough strength to attempt the ridiculous... Adam Turner on speed skates.

Luckily, I have a friend who has a bit of experience in that arena... olympic speedskater, Jason Hedstrand. In addition to just being a great speed skater and instructor, he's also just a great guy to hang out with. Thus, the night, despite it's bumps and bruises (I fell twice), was a great time. There really isn't much else to tell... we arrived, I crammed my bare feet into a pair of skates that were clearly smaller than my feet, I hobbled onto the ice, listened to some advice, skated some and fell on my bum. That cycle repeated itself throughout the night. Our finale was to time each of us around the rink. Jason: 40 seconds. Adam: don't quite remember, but it was in the 1 minute, 20 second range. Not too shabby considering I was expecting a 3 minute run.

Jason showing proper form



Here are some Pictures from Jason's camera. Take note of my excellent form. And, the pictures of me in the Olympian's jacket and hat at the end... Jason's idea. Publicity photos for when I become a professional speedskater!

No comments: