Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 19 :: Wine Tasting

Every Thursday at the local Liquor Store, The Cellars (http://www.thecellars.com), there is a wonderful little wine-tasting event that apparently has accrued quite a following. When I first walked in to the store, it felt a bit odd... it is a liquor store after all, not a winery. However, as the first impressions were just getting a hold, a gathering of folks began to accumulate. Eventually, all the 'regulars' were there and the setting was set. I know they were regulars, because the woman speaking made a point of gesturing toward me and my friend John, saying "ah, I see we have some new faces today."

The gal speaking only had to speak a few words for me to recognize that this wasn't a high-school drop out looking for part time work at the local liquor store. This young gal had her ducks in a row. And a passion for wine to boot. I would guess that she is probably the product of some years of higher education focussed specifically on wine (and the such). I believe the proper term is Sommelier.

Here's a sampling:



The night was planned out with a selection of wines from the Northwest... here's the lineup:
1. 2009 Willamette Valley Vineyards Riesling (Oregon)
2. 2009 King Estate Pinot Gris (Oregon)
3. 2006 Walnut City Wineworks Viognier (Washington)
4. 2007 Argyle Brut (Oregon)
5. 2009 Westrey Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (Oregon)
6. 2008 L'Ecole Columbia Valley Cabernet (Washington)
7. 2008 Chateau Ste. Michelle Indian Wells Merlot (Washington)
8. 2009 Owen Roe "Abbot's Table" (Washington)

I should point out at this time, that a co-worker of mine, John, joined me for this outing. His presence is significant to mention here, because this man knows his wines. While the woman covered history and context of the vineyards, the grapes and the process, John was able to key me in on the flavors and the scents of the wines. Some were peppery and earthy... generally wines with tannin (something to do with the skin of the grape... in red wines only, I believe). Others were acidic, or spicy or sweet.

Ironically, the bottle of wine that I purchased, the '2008 Chateau Ste. Michell Indian Wells Merlot' had a scent described by John as 'plum, leathery, sandy and chewing tobacco.' Yummy.



All-in-all, it was a very 'cultural' experience. I was surrounded by the wine-educated, and left feeling like I want to know more. And, just as I was shuffling up to the cash register to make my purchase, John altered my route to head to the beer section. He quickly informed me that the beer selection at 'The Cellar' is unmatched in this region. He continued to school me in the ways of the hop, wheat brewing, malts, and much more that I forgot as soon as it was spoken (I'm not a stellar student). We ended the night with the additional purchase of a beer that he said would be a very pleasant experience for me. Later that night, I validated his claim.

Thanks John. Salut.






Side note: I wrote down lots of details about each of the wines, so if you have any interest in knowing more about each of the above, just let me know, and I'll convey what I have jotted down.

No comments: