Friday, March 4, 2011

One Chapter Closed, Another Open

My 30-Day Adventure has reached fruition. I set out to challenge myself, and I think it's safe to say, "check." Ironically, it wasn't really the outings themselves that proved to be challenging... it was determining what they would be and then blogging about them that ended up pushing me.

All in all, the experiment was well worth it. It accomplished many goals:
1. I have a new appreciation for snow sculptors, speed skaters, puppeteers, painters, skijourners, inuits, the Nepalese, polar bears, ATV riders, horse riders, wolves, crocheters, Martha Stewart and many more.
2. I have embraced that I have many options here in the Twin Cities other than local TV programming.
3. I have inspired Addie to try new things.
4. I have made pizza, and will make it again.

For those who don't want to look through the blogs for the pics of the outings, I have posted many of them recently on Facebook.

So, where does that leave me now?

Well, I'm ready for a rest, but my momentum has pushed me to continue a few new things in the last few days. I played a round of golf on Tuesday, followed by a small game of poker with some old poker buddies in Vegas. On Wednesday, I flew home to Minneapolis from Vegas and read a good chunk of "Brainpower Game Plan" (more on that later). Yesterday, I went back to work, came home and settled in. Today, I am resting (and later on will enjoy another poker game).

However, I do indeed have a new chapter. I am going to attempt to improve my brain power. I'll pause a moment to allow for any laughter that seems necessary.........


... so, back to the brainpower thing. When we left the Martha Stewart Show, we got a bag of goodies that included many puzzles, challenges and the book "Brainpower Game Plan" by Cynthia R. Green, PhD. The book speaks of the epidemic today of loss of memory, dimensia and Alzheimer's. She goes on to explain how eating right, exercise and 'brain games' can increase memory and decrease dimensia and the chances of getting Alzheimer's. I felt this was a worthy pursuit to explore.

Therefore, I am now setting off on another brief adventure. This time, however, there will only be one focus... to get through this book, and it's four-week plan. Each day has a menu, an exercise and a brain activity. I originally wasn't going to blog about this, but a friend at work asked if I would. She for one thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if these four-weeks could actually improve my brain power. "Doubtful" I'm sure some of you will say.

As it turns out, there is a test at the beginning of the book that will be retaken at the end of the four weeks. Tomorrow, I will post my score, along with my weight, my meals, my exercise and my brain activity. I will weigh in once a week. This isn't meant to be a weight-loss diet, but chances are, that'll be a side affect. I currently take in over 2,000 calories (easily) a day, and I will be living right around 1,500 calories per day for these 4 weeks.

So, smash the champagne on the ship, because here I set sail once again!

No comments: