Saturday, January 29, 2011

Venturing Forth

Today is January 29th, 2011. I just returned from dogsledding up at the Wildlife Science Center in Forest Lake, MN, and I have been inspired.

I have it in my head to set out on a new adventure. However, as often is the case, my resources are fewer than my ambitions. Therefore, today I begin the preparation phase for a 'controlled environment experiment' (the controlled environment being the resources of time and money).

The experiment will be 30 consecutive days of something different each day... similar to today's mushing extravaganza. Granted, each day will continue to produce the elements that daily make up my life now: meals, sleep, time with family, work, etc. But, contrary to my presently established patterns of filling in free time with movies, poker, and general slacking, these 30 days will each produce an experience unlike any other day within the 30 day period.

Because I'm still in the preparation phase, here are some specific ideas and broader categories rattling around in my head:
1. snow shoeing (physical activity)
2. winter camping (physical activity)
3. cross-country skiing (physical activity)
4. downhill tubing (physical activity)
5. oil painting (art expression)
6. stone sculpting (art expression)
7. ceramic sculpting (art expression)
8. write a short story (art expression)
9. make an igloo (physical activity/art expression)
10. ice fishing (physical activity/leisure activity)
11. read a short novel (leisure activity)
12. movie marathon (leisure activity)
13. visit an art museum (culture)
14. see a play (culture)
15. attend a symphony (culture)
16. go to a poetry reading (culture)
17. see an art opening (culture)
18. cook an all-natural meal (cooking)
19. bake an over-the-top dessert (cooking)
20. host a dinner party (social)
21. walk for three hours straight (crazy)
22. wine tasting (culture)

So, there are the seeds to this venture. Here are a few guidelines:
1. include my family as often as possible
2. set a budget for the entire experiment, and don't exceed it
3. all activities remain within the law... both enforced and personal ethics
4. all activities occupy a 2 to 3 hour time slot every day (the activities themselves can exceed that time, but can't replace a new activity in any of the other 30 days... no 'part 1' and 'part 2,' so to speak)
5. try and include friends and 'new friends' as often as possible

And here are my goals:
1. get off my can
2. open my eyes to affordable activities in the Twin Cities area
3. teach my daughter the value of trying new things and effort worthy of unexpected gain
4. broaden my appreciation of others and activities and pursuits that others value

I invite the two or three of you who may be reading this to share your ideas, or even better, I encourage you to invite me to participate in something with you or beside you that I otherwise would not have. I often find it easier to say "no" and choose the comforts of the couch and the familiar, than to say "yes" and infringe into your lives and the things that add spice to the otherwise ordinary.

Here's to the adventure,
Adam

No comments: