Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 2 :: Finish an Oil Painting

Kid Friendly: yes
Pet Friendly: depends if you like your animals in your 'space'

Cost: $0

Before I dive into the oil painting experience, I first want to bring you up to speed on the event that will occur on Day 21—Saturday, February 20th. I am including the exact date, because it may very well be the date that I cease living. I just submitted the registration form that now includes me as one of the many mentally challenged individuals who will 'plunge' into the frigid waters of Forest Lake on that sure-to-be-fateful day. I bring it to your attention now, because, despite it being so rewarding in and of itself, it is indeed for a bigger purpose... it's a fund raiser to support the construction of the new Polar Bear exhibit at Como Zoo. So, if you have an itchin' to send some funds the polar bears' way, then you could go to the link below:

http://www.winterplunge.kintera.org/adamturner

Otherwise, just to see what it's about, here's the link on Como Zoo's site:

http://www.comozooconservatory.org/support/special-events/#/winter-plunge


Now... on with the oils.

To be clear, I actually began this painting a week or so ago. The previous night, I got it into my head to try something new. I've always been a 'sketcher,' and have dabbled with various painting mediums... mostly acrylic and water paint. However, I've only once ever picked up oil paints, and I didn't care for them. However, that night not so long ago, I decided to give it another crack. And I did. I painted a portrait of my daughter, Addie. And although it wasn't a Michelangelo, I sort of liked it. I liked it enough to try it again the following night. And that's the night I began this painting. I painted for three hours. At the end of the three hours, I had a somewhat developed painting of a Chickadee.

So, in truth, my painting venture wasn't completely new, but within these 30 days, it is unique. And, somewhat new to me.

Here's the finished piece:


I still have much to learn about the medium, but all in all, I'm happy with it. For example, I'd like to see more variance in color with the flowers... maybe some blues or purples in the shadows. I also am a bit ignorant about the whole layering process, and the best use of linseed oil, etc. But, unlike many other ventures, I'm not discouraged. This will definitely be something I attempt again in the future. Actually, that future is a bit spelled out for me, as this Chickadee came as a request from my wife, Laura, who indicated that she'd love to see it joined by a 'few' other 'lovely bird paintings.'

I wish I had more for you on this one, but my novice status really doesn't provide me with a whole lot of insight. One might use this forum to suggest the best type of easel... I used a cardboard box weighted down by an old Photoshop Book. Or, they may suggest the best type of brushes... I used old watercolor and acrylic brushes on the verge of being thrown away because of the lack of care they received. Ah, and the workspace... well, I've supplied a photo of that for your eyes to wonder at:



You'll note to the right of my workspace, is a second workspace, occupied by a pink chair. That would be my daughter's art station. She blessed me with her company while I worked on this Chickadee. Below is her wonderful piece of artwork, entitled "Don't Chew on your dandelions, Mutsy!"


Tomorrow, I exercise. I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
Adam

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved it! Am printing this out so your grandmother can take a look and maybe add her advice and counsel. Are you taking requests for the future?